It’s back! The super-duper, you-won’t-wanna-miss-it: Kensington-Wide Yard-Sale Day!
On Saturday, June 15th, you will NOT be able to walk through Hillhurst without hitting a street full of friendly faces and enthusiastic peddlers of treasures. For 18 years (and counting), neighbors have pillaged their attics & storage spaces to find all kinds of interesting things to offer for sale--AND, as an added perk, there are always some young entrepreneurs offering up tasty treats to eat, too.
When: Neighbor Day--Saturday, June 15th, from 9am to 2pm
Where: between Kensington Road & 5th Ave NW, visit the streets of 10A, 11th, 11A, 12th, and 13th (and beyond??)...it’s on one day only, so don’t miss it!
Bonus this year: reap the benefits of the Netflix sensation--“Tidying Up with Marie Kondo”!
Which of your neighbors binge-watched this hit series and then completed a serious purge of items that didn’t ‘spark joy’? You’re about to find out!
How to take part:
● HOST A SALE--go ahead and just set out some things that day and encourage your neighbors to do so, too. Household items, artisan wares? Anything goes! Don’t have a whole lot to put out on your own? Invite friends/family to bring items to sell, too.
● VISIT A SALE--not only is it a great way to find treasures and see interesting things, but you’ll meet some awfully nice people nearby, too.
● HOST A FOOD-STAND--lemonade, sweets, breakfast burritos or hot-dogs? Yes, please!
● MAKE A DATE OF IT with friends/family--invite some pals over to wander the neighborhood, peruse sales, nibble on snacks, and hang out in the ‘hood!
● SPREAD THE WORD--make a poster, recruit kids to make colorful chalk-drawings to lure shoppers onto your street, post on Social Media, or just pick up the PHONE and tell people to come on down!
Happy Neighbor Day 2019!